Monday, September 17, 2012

A new lease of life

These past three weeks have been some of the busiest of my writing life. The good news was that Accent Press accepted five of my backlist titles - historical adventure romances - for release as ebooks.  The not-so-good news was the realisation that three of these were written before I bought my present desktop, and were not saved on floppy discs (that's how old my previous PC was)  All I had were print copies.  I tried scanning them with both a flat-bed and hand-held scanner.  That didn't work because each page was saved as a jpeg image impossible to convert to Word.

Lateral thinking was called for. This involved a Stanley knife, a chopping board, and deconstruction of a print copy of each title.   Then a good friend (who earned himself extra sparkles on his halo) spent two days photographing every page as I placed them on a white backing sheet. He then ran through OCR software, put each page into a chapter folder and emailed them to me. I then reinstated all the formatting and took the opportunity to do some editing as well.  At last all three were complete.
The next job was to find images that would help with cover design, and prepare an info page which included brief character descriptions, a blurb
and any reviews.
Those three titles: Dangerous Waters, A Place of Birds, and The Iron Road are now available on Amazon Kindle.

So too are Eye of the Wind, shortlisted for the Parker Romantic Novel of the Year Award, and available free from 19th - 23rd September, and Tide of Fortune.   The Chain Garden will follow shortly.   I'm delighted that books which I so enjoyed writing are getting a new lease of life and the opportunity to reach a new readership.

Jane Jackson.  www.janejackson.net.  

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eye-Wind-historical-romance-ebook/dp/B00972XLF8


2 comments:

girlygirlhoosier52 said...

Yea!! More good reading!!!

Jane Jackson said...

Thanks, girlie. If you enjoy any/all of them, please leave a comment. Reader feedback is really helpful.