Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Reviews & Book Covers


Recently I received my complimentary copies of Lord Thurston's Challenge. I love the cover, especially the pink tulips along the top. The blurb on the back describes it as a "romantic suspense". I thought I wrote Regency romantic adventures, but will settle for that description!
A Debt of Honour, which came out in March this year, has just received its review in the Historical Novel Society booklet.
"This is another book in the Regency genre, although the only hint as to the era in which it is set is a reference to Constable staying in the area and the fact that the estate in question is in Dedham in Suffolk. It is clearly a romance overlaid with a large slice of melodrama and the final pages lack all credibility for the age in which the tale is set. Romantic novel it may be, but an historical one it definitely is not."
Did this person read the same book as my other reviewers?
Single Titles wrote:
"Supremely enjoyable, wonderfully told absolutely impossible to put down. A Debt of Honour is a wonderful historical romance featuring richly drawn characters, tender romance and nailbiting drama which will keep readers spellbound from first page to the very last!"
Romance Junkies wrote:
"A superbly romantic story with just the right touch of mystery and suspense. I couldn't put the book down until I knew how Eliza and Fletcher were going to solve all the problems they faced. I highly recommend this book for anyone who enjoys a historical romance with a little bit of mystery and intrigue."
Myshelf wrote:
"Ms Miller is one of my favourite Regency authors, balancing the frothy light style with some real drama evoking atmosphere, manners and mores perfectly. Just the thing for Regency readers."
Guess which review is the one that I shall always remember? Why is it that we writers always think the bad reviews must be true and the good ones an exaggeration?
Fenella Miller

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Probably because writing is never really finished? One always finds one or two things, upon rereading, that one might write differently now?

It happens to me quite often, anyway (though maybe I'm just no good as a writer - *grin*), and in such cases I suppose one is more vulnerable to criticism - besides one doesn't want to have one's baby abused. Even if it's only a literary one.

Apart from that, the negative memories always seem to hang around while the pleasant ones disappear.

Anonymous said...

Forgot to say that I really like your cover too! :)

Anonymous said...

HI Fenella,
Congratualtions on your latest release and the excellent reviews.
I love the cover - Hale covers are either very good or horrid.
Best
Marg Muir