Friday, May 05, 2006

Sharpe - My Hero!


Sean Bean, in my opinion, is Richard Sharpe. Even Bernard Cornwell says that, since 1992 when the first Sharpe film was made, he sees Sean in his head when he writes now. The fact that Sean is blonde and Richard, in the books, is dark makes no difference.
It was reading the Sharpe books many years ago that really cemented my love of the 19th century. I had, of course, grown up with Jane Austen, the Brontes, Georgette Heyer et al, but now there was a modern writer who could provide me with the accurate and fast paced books I love to read.

Cornwell reserches impeccably and all his dates, times and battle details are 100% correct. He then puts his protagonists into a solid, authentic historical setting.
My extensive knowledge of the Napoleonic Wars began with these Sharpe books.
So you can imagine my excitement when I discovered that another Sharpe, set in India, was coming. It lived up to all my expectations. I'm determined to set my next book in Spain or France during this period - or maybe even India!! I wonder how the tax man would feel about a trip to India on my expenses next year? Perhaps I'll stick to France and visit the Waterloo Museum when I go away this weekend. But the full set of Sharpe DVDs , plus the latest were my birthday presents this year.

The hero of my latest book, A Suitable Husband, is a Sharpe type - but third son of an aristocrat rather than from the gutter. But he is an ex-soldier and not afraid of killing those that harm his family.
Fenella Miller
Fenella-Jane Miller's latest book A Suitable Husband is available from Amazon

No comments: